Monday 7 May 2012

It's been a while!

Hey all, so I've been pretty busy, and I've really struggled to find time to even sit down and write a blog. The good news is I haven't missed a training session in the last 6 weeks... approximately the same time since I wrote my last blog.

A quick overview then, otherwise I'll bore you senseless :-). As I said, training is going well and I've remained committed, work is ok, but the old social life has suffered, and my house looks like a bomb-site with kit everywhere. Importantly I did my first triathlon, I started training in October so it seemed strange that I was no longer a newbie at Absolute Triathlon Club, but I had no race experience. And what an experience it was... wet, windy and cold... therefore slow... but as I said afterwards, if that didn't put my off nothing will, as soon as the shivering had stopped and I was able to make sentences I was looking forward to my next event. It feels like I've hardly stayed dry in the last few weeks of training, hopefully some better weather is on the way.

Yesterday I did Half Iron-distance:

Swim 1.2miles - 00:40:04 (target 00:45:00)
Bike 56miles - 03:18:03 (target 03:30:00)
Run Half Marathon (13.1miles) - 01:44:34 (target 02:00:00) 

Needless to say I was pretty happy, the thought process change from feeling confident to the realisation I have to go twice as far in just 8 weeks. The last couple of miles on the run were pretty tough. I was pleased though with my race strategy and fuelling.

I'm looking forward now to next Sunday when I'm doing a Sprint Distance Tri in Southwell. It should be a good event with lots of club mates there, and the weather can't be any worse than my first one. After that it's just time to focus on the main event.

I'm pleased to say I also have managed to set up an online donations page... any sponsor is greatly appreciated for a great cause and helps give me more motivation to succeed:
http://www.justgiving.com/Matto-W

Find out more about this great charity at:
http://www.karengreenfoundation.com/

Finally just a quick few thank you's... Steve and all the team at Absolute Triathlon Club, volunteers and friends alike, the club really helps me keep going and I wouldn't be where I am without you all... really looking forward to the open water as soon as it warms up.
Friends and family, thanks for your support, interest and sponsorship, looking forward to some good catching up already after July 1st.
And finally a special thanks to Sam for your support, understanding and tolerance. Not long now.

Matto_out xx

PS Some old school Biffy Clyro has been helping me out music wise, check out the you tube video...

Iron man, I return to you, to be the way you wanted
But I have no strength or the decency in me to be a hero
But we still fall down, yeah you'll still fall down 

Iron man, I refuse to be the way that you would want me
Still I've got no strength but the sense in me to see I'm not a hero
But we still fall down, still fall down
And we'll still fall down, and we still fall 

No comments:

Post a Comment